Sunday, February 15, 2009

Methodology of Negative Architecture

My previous blog listed 2 ways in which I thought architecture could be "negative". The first is by "de-objectifying it" by fitting itself into the fabric of its surroundings (landscape). The second is by emphasizing its programmatic spaces and the elements in those spaces above the the architecture itself.

Here are a few ways I think "negative architecture" can be accomplished.

1. Framing:

In the case of architecture - the "built" architectural form frames the landscape or programmatic elements. A picture frame protects (shelters) the painting, photograph, etc. The importance and emphasis lies with the artwork. The frame is used to shelter and enhance/complement the art. Negative architecture could be seen in the same light. A good example of this is Kahn's Salk Institute. Made of monolithic concrete, wood and glass, the buildings can be seen as objects in the landscape. However, the placement of the buildings puts emphasis on the landsacape and the view to the horizon. This scene becomes the focus of the buildings and not the buildings themselves.



The quality of the space created by the "framing elements" is also the focus of these buildings. The emphasis along the colonnade is the experiential qualities of surrounding environment (light/shadow/wind/calm) and the changes as one walks along - rather than the building itself.


2. Blending

Blend as I define it here is from Merriam Webster Dictionary
1a: to mingle intimately or unobtrusively, 1b: to combine into an integrated whole 2: to produce a harmonious effect.
Blending is unique to every situation since its methodology is to combine itself with the immediate landscape. It can involve various sub-methodologies including: form (shape), color and texture.

My previous example of the Ysios Winery uses these three methodologies.
Form: the curves of the roof mimicing the mountain range behind.
Color: The silver-white roof also fitting in with the snow capped mountains - the terra cotta exterior walls blending with the dirt fields in the foreground.
Texture: The polished rectilinear wood beams complementing the wood strips that make up the wine barrels.

3. Diffusion (diffuse)
  1. To pour out and cause to spread freely.
  2. To spread about or scatter; disseminate.
  3. To make less brilliant; soften.
I think the definitions of diffusion are very revealing. the third gives the purpose of "negative architecture," while the second gives the means.
Diffusion can be seen as the flip side of blending. Blending is the process of lessening the "objectivity" of a building by have it match its surroundings (at least in some ways). Diffusion takes an object (building in a landscape) that doesn't "match" and seeks to lessen its impact (visual contradiction) by reducing its whole into smaller parts. I almost think of this as a screen/fence - where one gets "glimpses" of the object/building peaking through its surroundings.

I think Kuma's buildings are a good representation of this methodology. - See the images on the main page.

I am currently looking for some other specific examples that I clipped out a couple of years ago - that I think are also representative of this methodology. Can't remember the architect but will post if I find them.

When I first read this courses syllabus and looked up images of Kuma's work - diffuse was the first word that popped into my mind - So I found it very interesting to read the article on particlisation. I am going to try to find the similarites and differences in these two concepts - or are they the same?








5 comments:

  1. hi, Kerry, your writing about the three methods of create Negative architecture is very interesting, and seems very doable. I can totally imagine each of them to be tested and realized and form interesting architecture treatments. I'd suggest you to do some conceptual physical model to try to explain your thoughts by some physical form and logic, it would be very good to be able to see it in reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked what you said about how a framed scene "becomes the focus of the buildings and not the buildings themselves." This prevents the idea of architecture as object. I also liked what you said about how the building creates these "experiences" along the way while diffusing the architecture. Therefore the architecture becomes more about the experiences it creates rather than the architecture itself. I think that this idea would be really interesting to study in model.

    You definitions of blending and diffusion also tie into this idea of "architecture as an experience". I think you have an interesting interpretation of negative and positive architecture that may result in some interesting studies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think framing is a very important aspect of this studio. When I was thinking about negative vs. positive architecture and looking at some of Kuma’s work, it became apparent just how integral this concept is in his architecture. To me, framing brings up one of many opposites between negative and positive architecture. While negative architecture will frame a scene to create focus, positive architecture might use the landscape as a frame for the built structure. I think you’re on the right track with framing.

    As I look at your images for framing, it strikes me how much symmetry plays a part. It would be interesting to see if framing can be achieved in a way that is less rigid in its symmetry. Can there be unique shapes and forms used to frame a scene? Or does framing imply a necessary symmetry to focus the eye?

    I think that your definition of diffusion actually ties into framing. The idea of getting “glimpses” to me is a scaled down version of framing. The frame is decreased in size, but there are many more of them so that the eye isn’t focused to any single frame. In this way, the eye sees both the figure and ground without being forced towards a single area of focus.

    These concepts are great, and it’s clear you’ve put a lot of thought into developing them. I’m looking forward to seeing models and sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the point you brought up about framing, I have to admit I have purchased paintings only because of the frame. The questions that this post makes me ask myself; is the goal of the framing to “frame” the views to the exterior or the interoir? The elements of the structure or the overall structure? The users of the building or the uses of the building?

    I also like the questions you raised with the blending and the idea of “a screen/fence - where one gets "glimpses" of the object/building peaking through its surroundings.” This idea relates back to the idea of framing you brought up too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lot of great comments and thoughts, I think it is to put these ideas into some really interesting models, to test out the material, the layers, the frame, the diffusion effect....I can already see many opportunities in my head now, except I can't do it for you guys, but looking forward to see what each of you come up with!

    Xu

    ReplyDelete